The Communications and Publications Intern will assist the Director of Communications and Publications in the completion of several projects, including but not limited to, creation of content and design ideas for the Fraternity’s magazine – The Quarterly, development of social media content, graphic design, website content and maintenance, copy editing and proof-reading, large-scale email distribution, creation of press releases and original articles, videography and video editing, photography, publication design, long-term planning and marketing schedules, and other duties as assigned.
This is an educational position. Candidates with an interest in responsibilities related to this position are not expected to have prior professional experience in this area.
- Update and maintain Delta Chi’s social media presence through short and long-term marketing plans utilizing Hootsuite.
- Assist in planning, writing and managing content for the Fraternity’s magazine, The Quarterly.
- Draft, distribute, and pitch news releases, media alerts and other stories.
- Write content for a variety of digital marketing platforms.
- Design, manage, and plan email marketing campaigns utilizing MyEmma.
- Design flyers, graphics, banners and other marketing material for use in collaboration with Delta Chi events and promotions.
- Update the Delta Chi website and troubleshoot backend issues in WordPress.
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and deliverables for marketing and communications.
- Plan and facilitate meetings with other departments to maximize success of current organizational projects.
- Assist with developing the communications annual calendar.
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings, virtually or in person.
- Research and recommend new platforms, tools, mediums, and hardware for use in achieving organizational goals.
- Film and photograph various people and events for Fraternity use.
- Edit still images and video utilizing Adobe Creative software.
- Completed or working towards a degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or a related field.
- Background in and/or knowledge of Greek life, campus life, or social organizations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
- Aptitude to be a self-starter and find answers/solutions when needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and/or a reliable mode of transportation to and from work.
Candidates must have proficiency or willingness to learn in the following areas:
- Utilizing Adobe Create software, with an emphasis on Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Premiere.
- Managing the backend of a website, with a focus on WordPress.
- Knowledge of social media platforms, with a focus on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Knowledge or interest in general design principles and experience with design across multiple platforms.
- Mass communications or mass marketing.
- Writing for different mediums with an understanding of AP style formatting.
- Understanding of social media metrics and data analysis for enhancing marketing efficiency.
- Currently a member of, or have experience with, a fraternity or sorority.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter articulating your interest. This is an unpaid internship. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications may be submitted electronically. Anticipated start date: October 2019 or sooner. Please note that the position will be based in Indianapolis, Indiana at the International Headquarters, located at 3845 N Meridian Street.
All material must be sent to:
Director of Communications and Publications
For the official job description, please click HERE.