The Emerging Leaders Academy
The Delta Chi Fraternity is committed to developing the strongest leaders throughout one’s membership. The Emerging Leaders Academy is a four-day leadership development experience that helps participants learn more about their leadership styles and strengths.
This highly interactive program is geared toward rising sophomores and juniors and takes place at the founding site of Delta Chi, Cornell University. Participants will not only have the chance to learn about whom they are as leaders, but also reflect upon this history of our Founders and how we live out their legacy.
We are able to provide this experience thanks to the generous support of our donors and the Delta Chi Educational Foundation.
Participants must be initiated members of Delta Chi by June 1, 2018. Preference will be given to those who are going into their sophomore or junior year of college. Space is limited for this program, so the Fraternity may limit the number of participants from one chapter.
Immediately following the ELA, Delta Chi will provide you with an opportunity (via email) to submit a reimbursement claim for 50% of the mileage and/or travel cost not to exceed $350. Attendees will be granted two weeks (14 days) from the date that the email is sent to submit a claim for reimbursement.
The Emerging Leaders Academy Interns are primarily responsible for assisting with on-site logistics for the program and supporting staff and facilitators in order to make the program successful. The Interns serve as a resource to students throughout the Academy and will be participants in some parts of the program. Interns will be asked to participate in a training phone call prior to the start of the program and may be responsible for assisting in some preparation tasks before arriving on site.
- Past participation in either the “A”s’ Academy or Regional Leadership Conference
- Ability to attend the entire session of the Academy, June 13-18, 2018
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including early hours and late nights
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and sense of fun
- Junior or senior class standing during the fall 2018 semester
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work with people from a variety of social, cultural, ethnic and educational backgrounds
- Critical thinking, planning and organizing, administrative and leadership skill
Travel, Accommodations, and Meals
The Emerging Leaders Academy will take place in Ithaca, NY at Cornell University. Travel arrangements will be coordinated with IHQ staff and the Fraternity will cover all expenses. Additionally, all meals during the program, including training and set-up, will be provided. Interns will be housed in double-occupancy rooms in a residence hall at Cornell University.
Serving as an intern can be an outstanding experience. This is an opportunity to give back and contribute to the leadership development of our up and coming leaders. This position will offer you an opportunity to gain event-planning experience, meet brothers and alumni from across the country, and help develop a deeper understanding of Delta Chi.
- Assist Staff with on-site logistics.
- Serve as a liaison to faculty and students, especially in preparation for large group and small group sessions.
- Assist with supply runs and snack breaks as needed throughout the program.
- Participate in facilitator training and meetings.
- Coordinate and facilitate all evening social activities.
- Take photographs throughout the program and create a slideshow for the end of the program.
- Model leadership behavior and the values of Delta Chi.
- Sign and agree to the Emerging Leaders Academy substance-free agreement.
- At all times act in a professional manner as a representative of Delta Chi.
- Other duties as assigned.