Guide to Giving
“Assisting in the Acquisition of a Sound Education”
Donate by Mail
Gifts may be made via check through the mail. Please note the fund to which your donation should be applied, and also ensure your check includes your current phone number.
The Delta Chi Educational Foundation
PO Box 2113
Iowa City, IA 52244-2113
Donate by Phone
8:00 am – 5:00 pm CT
Monday – Friday
When you make a gift to The Delta Chi Educational Foundation through Facebook there are a couple of things you should know:
1. All donations through Facebook will be classified as Unrestricted and not be able to be applied to any account other than the General Fund
2. Donors will be given credit towards their Lifetime Giving Level for these donations as long as we can identify them through their Donation on Facebook.
***To ensure you receive credit, you should share that you donated which gives us a way to track your gift.***
To reach our Facebook site click here
Once there, click on the donate button and enter your information, it’s that easy!
Call the Foundation office at (319) 337-4811 to inform us of your gift. Please be prepared with your name, the name of the stock(s) and the number of shares, the date of your instructions to your financial advisor or broker, the name and contact information of your broker, the account designation for your gift.
Provide written instructions for your broker to make a transfer to The Delta Chi Educational Foundation specifying the name of the stock and the number of shares to be transferred. If you inform the broker verbally, it is advisable to follow up in writing.
Please authorize your broker to give us your name, name of stock, and number of shares being transferred, as well as the account designation for your gift, so that you may receive the proper credit. This is the only way our broker can determine that the stock arriving in our account belongs to you and can advise us accordingly to give you substantiation for the gift.
The date of your gift is the date on which you deliver your certificates and stock powers to a The Delta Chi Educational Foundation representative, the postmark date (if mailed), the date the certificates are transferred into The Delta Chi Educational Foundation name, or the date on which your electronic transfer is received into The Delta Chi Educational Foundation account.
Corporate and Matching Gifts
Many employers (companies, corporations, foundations, etc.) have established Matching Gift Programs in order to incentivize employees to make gifts to certified charitable foundations – including the Delta Chi Educational Foundation. These Matching Gift Programs can often double or even triple your gift to the Delta Chi, which is a win-win for our undergraduates.
If your employer offers this service, speak to your human resources department about adding the Delta Chi Educational Foundation to its queue of support. You can click here to see if your company is on our comprehensive list.
If you have any questions about the Educational Foundation’s matching gift program, contact the Jason Sisk at 319.621.2203.
Anyone, whether Friend or Member of Delta Chi, is able to donate by adding The Delta Chi Educational Foundation as a beneficiary on a Will or an Insurance Policy. If you would like to add the Foundation, you can contact the Director of Development Peter Lane at .319.499.0352 or the Foundations Director of Operations Timothy Woodward at 319.337.4811.
Donor Advised Fund
Donor Advised Funds allow you to make a tax-deductible donation when you want, invest and grow your account so you can increase your impact, and make grants to your favorite charities when you are ready. All this and you even get your tax credits up front when you fund the account!
Qualified Charitable Distribution
2nd Degree New Founder, Brother Lee Berlin, Cornell Chapter, has been a generous supporter of the DCEF for decades. In many of the past 10 years, he’s leveraged a Qualified Charitatble Distribution from his IRA to make significant gifts to his Chapter’s ECHI account, and unrestricted gifts to the Foundation’s General Fund.
“Making a QCD reduces your income on the front page of your form; you can’t be taxed on it. Its better than a tax reduction!”
- You must be 70.5 years old or older to be eligible.
- At age 70.5 you must take Required Minimimum Distrbutions (RMDs) from your IRA, SEP-IRA or SIMPLE-IRA; this rule does not apply to your Roth IRAs.
- RMDs are caluclated by dividing the IRA account balance of the previous year, by the applicable distribution period or life expectancy.
- A Qualified Charitable Distribution is an otherwise taxable distribution from an IRA that is paid directly from the IRA to a qualified charity (The DCEF is a qualifed charity).
- YES, a QCD can satisfy all or part of the amount of your RMDs from your IRA!
- Charitable distribtuitions are reported on Form 1099-R for the calendar year the distribution is made.
- Review the IRS website for more details on making a QCD this year.
The DCEF is a qualified charity, and our team of professionals is prepared to help you navigate this method of giving to advance Delta Chi.
- Schwab account holders may request 10 checks a year from your IRA, which you can then write yourself, at your leisure, directly to The DCEF.
- Other institutions may require more lead-time; an Administrator must write the check and send it from your financial institution directly to your qualified charity.
- Please ensure your QCD is delivered to DCEF Headqarters by December 15.
- DCEF, 314 Church St., Iowa City, IA 52245
Reach out to Brother Peter Lane, our Director of Development at email@example.com, to learn more about this form of gift.